Re: Discuss wish: Page templates

2009/6/25 Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The main design question for me is whether we should use a normal namespace
>>> for this, or there a need to create "special" namespaces? I run into the
>>> same question trying to implement a "move to garbage" feature - again the
>>> garbage bin can be a regular namespace, but it could also be a special
>>> namespace.
>>>

>> Special namespace, definitely. Those are special purpose pages, and
>> should not be mixed in with the "regular" pages. Otherwise, the
>> "regular" pages become the special case.
>
> As described I think I know how to store these by using the "_" as a
> folder prefix for special namespaces.
>
> Then the next question is how to show these special namespaces in the
> interface. Should they be part of the index tree or should they have
> their own tree. If so, should both trees be visible in the side pane,
> should they be switchable ? etc.

The templates most certainly should not be in the tree, no matter
what! The trash could be in the tree, I suppose, but it should be
distinguishable as a "special" branch. Maybe an icon, and having it at
the bottom of the tree always.

The templates would ideally be available when creating a new page. I
do not understand Polish, so I do not understand what was in the
screenshot, but a dropdown box with a choice of available templates
would be intuitive. A template editor under the Tools menu would let
the user create, delete, and edit templates. I do not think that
templates should be available across Zim, but rather per notebook. For
those who disagree, perhaps a checkbox for a Global option would help.
All templates could be stored as a hidden Zim notebook, with some form
of metadata to mention to which notebook they belong, or alternatively
as global.

It's easy to imagine when I don't know how to code!

> I can imagine to have a dropdown at the top of the side pane which
> allows switching between "index" and "templates". Also "thrash" could
> be in this dropdown as well as a view for "search". Alternatively this
> could be done with vertical tabs along the side pane - but I feel that
> might take up too much space.

I don't really like this idea. It is inconsistent with other
applications' behaviour and sounds intrusive.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il