Re: Managing the notebook list

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Pedro <pedro100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all, it appears that this is really going forward. Nevertheless, here
> goes my point of view, which apparently totally differs from most:
>
> Personally i don't think that much magic is necessary. The current list is
> simple and straightforward. Adding those kind of features sure can save some
> seconds (though they are meant to be use seldom) but also introduce some
> confusion in less experienced users.
> Default locations have been confusing people for a very long time. Many
> complain that they don't know where their files are and often go rather
> funny ways to get to a file that is one or two clicks away.
> As it is now, the user knows what's in there because it was he/she that put
> it in there. Short cutting complexity often results in a more complex
> situation. Just my two cents.

This all depends on how you implement it. The possible pitfalls with default
locations are part of why I stress that I want a obvious directory like
~/Notes as default and not a hidden directory like ~/.zim . Probably we
should take care that the "new notebook" dialog also clearly shows the
location where the notebook is being created.