Re: Sending data to a running zim instance

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Svenn Are Bjerkem
<svenn.bjerkem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know how many similarities Tomboy has with Zim, I have never
> used tomboy seriously, but they are both notetakers so when I found
> the tomfox extension I thought that this could be a starting point.

For the purpose of this plugin differences between the two are
minimal, the receiving end is different, but you send the same
content. Only difference will be that a zim plugin probably needs a
preference to which notebook to send the clippings. (Tomboy also knows
notebooks, but they are less separated from each other than they are
in zim.)

> Tomfox is using dbus and I think that taking a look at
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/tomboy/trunk/extra/firefox-extension/content/tomfox.js?revision=2048&view=markup
> could give an indication what dbus functionality Zim could start with.
> A quick search and replace for tomfox with zimfox would give a quick
> mockup to work with. With my lack of experience with both firefox
> extensions and dbus in python I have to take small steps at a time and
> having a receiving point in zim would help a lot.

>From a quick look at that example code I just realized we don't need
to bother with DBUS at all to get this working. The code just triggers
an external command, in this case dbus-send to call tomboy. In our
case zim already has some inter process communication which we can
use.

Probably I can do a quick hack to allow you to call "zim
--recieve-page TEXT" from the extension to get data into zim. I'm
tempted to give that hack a try before the weekend, but given that I
will be offline for a long weekend I can not really promise it before
end of next wee..

> Enthusiasts can start thinking how they would like zim to receive and
> store the clippings. My preference is something like google notes
> extension which ended life with firefox 2, but for a first start a
> fixed namespace with the URL as title would do.

I'm not familiar with the google notes extension, so no idea how that worked.

My guess is that you first want to dump data, without zim popping up,
and later go over the dump namespace and sort out what should go
where. Alternatively you could want a dialog to pop up asking where to
store the content directly. (I assume this is the distinction made by
the DisplayNote preference in tomfox.)