Re: Issues with wiki syntax (was: Zim release planning)

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jaap, I just discovered two issues that have led to major dataloss for me:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585301
>
> Is there any way of getting these into the release? I'm serious, this
> is a Zim dealbreaker for me. I love Zim, but this just cost me
> literally years of notes that I am going to have to piece together
> from encrypted backups of Zim and Knowit (what I used before Zim).

I'm sorry but both issues are design limitation of using wiki syntax.
Any characters that are meaningful in the wiki formatting need to be
escaped in order to use them verbatim. This is what the "verbatim"
style is for. So code snippets like the shell commands in this case
need to be inserted as verbatim text in zim.

One way to fix this for you is to create a small script that goes over
the notebook pages and wraps any lines that start with "$" in a
verbatim block like this:

'''
$ shell scrip example here
'''

This will cause zim to show this code verbatim and restore your
content as intended.