Re: Issues with wiki syntax (was: Zim release planning)

On 25 May 2010 13:29, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jaap, I just discovered two issues that have led to major dataloss for me:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585301
>>
>> Is there any way of getting these into the release? I'm serious, this
>> is a Zim dealbreaker for me. I love Zim, but this just cost me
>> literally years of notes that I am going to have to piece together
>> from encrypted backups of Zim and Knowit (what I used before Zim).
>
> I'm sorry but both issues are design limitation of using wiki syntax.
> Any characters that are meaningful in the wiki formatting need to be
> escaped in order to use them verbatim. This is what the "verbatim"
> style is for. So code snippets like the shell commands in this case
> need to be inserted as verbatim text in zim.
>
> One way to fix this for you is to create a small script that goes over
> the notebook pages and wraps any lines that start with "$" in a
> verbatim block like this:
>
> '''
> $ shell scrip example here
> '''
>
> This will cause zim to show this code verbatim and restore your
> content as intended.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jaap

Thanks, Jaap. One of the advantages of Zim is to collect "snippets"
for use latter. If I cannot simply Alt-Tb into Zim, middle-click to
paste the snippet, and then Atl-Tab out without worrying that my data
will be mangled, then I cannot use it.

Why not make the auto-parsing of wikicode optional?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com