Re: new wiki syntax: better way to implement in Zim ?

Hi!

Please excuse, my posting is a little bit longer. It has some thoughts
about markup languages in general and the problems that rise around
them if you have to import and export the data from various languages
and file formats. If you interested in read more below..

----

Thoughts about markup, import, storage, editing and exports

ZIM - why not?
--------------
I am not an developer. ZIM is really a very good desktop wiki. But at
the moment i can not use it straight through. The main reason is that i
already have a lot of ascii formated content in different markup
languages and moreover will always have to integrate new information
written in different markup languages which then have to be imported,
stored, edited, and to be exported again. ZIM uses DokuWiki Syntax,
which is not easy to convert to and from other formats - besides that i
do not like the syntax too much. Over the past years i tried to get a
solution for that but still had not found the right tool which solves
the problem of migrating markup. Recently i found Pandoc and unoconv
which addresses a lot of problems together with Markdown Markup
Langauge and normal (OpenOffice) office documents.

The reason i still use Markdown is on the one hand pandoc with its
outstanding capabilities of import and export, on the other the fact
that i use Webgen with Markdown as website generator. So, reusing my
documents in any place works like a charm as long as i use one markup
straightthrough all documents. Markdown is yet the most versatile
markup i know - from the point of handling imports and exports.

ASCII based markup - really interoperable?
After searching the internet for a common simple asci markup i found
that nearly none is really interoperabel - too much different approaches
for the same problem.

Markup standards
-----------------

As a quick overview there are more then three *major* ascii
formating "standards" which are used by a large number of users:

Ascii based Markup:
 - Markdown
 - Asciidoc
 - reStructuredText
 - UDO <http://www.udo-open-source.org/index.php?lan=en>
 - txt2tags

Wiki based Markups:
 - Quiet a lot, see www.wikimatrix.org

After the quick spreading of wikis the old fashioned ascii markups may
stay in a niche of computer geeks. Wiki syntax is common to a lot of
people.

A common wiki language aproach
------------------------------

The Creole Project adresses the problem for the wiki world and tries to
settle a common standard for wikis and ascii markup. Maybe Creole could
be a way out of the format mess because it tries to create a syntax
which extracts the most common things of different wiki languages. See
more on the Creole Project:

http://www.wikicreole.org/

A small syntax sheet is here:

http://www.wikicreole.org/imageServlet?page=CheatSheet%2Fcreole_cheat_sheet.png&width=340

and a listing of lightweight markup languages here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lightweight_markup_languages

Don't know whether you all know these websites, i found them usefull.

A wish - not only - for ZIM
---------------------------

So far, it might be helpfull to
a) use another markup and have an import possibility
b) use another Markup (Creole) instead of DokuWiki syntax in ZIM
   (i do not think that the ZIM Header is a problem)
c) ability to later convert the ZIM Data to another output format
   (this can be done through pandoc et al. as long as the inner
   storage format is not DokuWiki)

Conclusion

However, if i have the possibilty to convert markup or can use another
markup language by a configuration parameter or in the settings of my
application, i would highly appreciate that, cause it makes my live
easier. Or in other words, i prefer common interoperability in opposite
to 20% more features of any language.

Thanks for your audience and patience, any comments are highly
appreciated.

	Ecaroh