Re: Minimum Gtk version to support in zim

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:59:47AM -0430, Juancarlo Añez wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM, <smu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I hope so, but I am not sure. And it is no longer possible to search the
> > package archive for jaunty packages.
> >

> MHO is that the design of new versions of software should not be restricted
> by operating system versions that are no longer supported. Older OSs can run
> older versions of the software (Zim in this case).
>
> When it is FOSS operating systems, there are less and weaker reasons not to
> upgrade them, or at least upgrade some of their components. Jaunty is not
> even LTS (long term support), so I don't see why stick to it.

I can not really argue against this. Quite the contrary I would say the
same, if I would not jave to use this outdated OS.

However, I do not know if it is really important, because Jaap ask for people
using gtk < 2.12. But I think zim should support debian old-stables
release at least for some month. Squeeze is now stable for two month and
not every admin starts updating directly.

> Yours is a particular case. I wonder how common it is.

hopefully not very common.

best regards,
 stefan