Re: Some quick questions

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM, JP Vossen <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recently switched to Zim from really old NoteCase, and I love it, but I
> have a few quick questions.
>
> First, like someone else on the list I'm running a 0.56 instance on Windows
> from the tarball using "zim.pyw".  That's so I can get the spell checker to
> work, which it now does, but startup is slow and RAM use seems to be way up
> over the "zim.exe" method.  Is there a better way? In-line spell checking is
> a killer feature for me, as unfortunately, is Windows for $WORK (Ubuntu
> otherwise).  (And I didn't upgrade to 0.57 due to reported PythonW
> problems.)

Seems pythonw works fine if you add the "--standalone" option, but
afraid going to 0.57 will not help with the spell check support.

Could you share how you got the spell checker to work in the first
place? I haven't managed that yet. Maybe we can ask Brendan to compile
it in if we know how to install it in the build environment.

> Second, are there key-bindings for list types (on Windows)?  I'm aware of
> "*" and ">" when text is selected, but unlike the CTRL-1, CTRL-B, etc.
> bindings, those won't change from say checkbox to bullet, which I do a lot.

There are menu options in the "format" menu, but no default
keybindings assigned. You can configure an key binding if you use them
often.

> Third, I love the checkboxes, but it would be nice if there were more
> options.  Specifically, I'd really like something for "in progress". And
> maybe some others, in decreasing order of importance?
>
>         [~] in progress
>
>         [w] Waiting for someone else
>         [#] Comment
>         [!] Important (I use CTRL-U now)
>         [$] Command to type
>
>         [?] Questionable
>         [e] Incoming email
>         [E] Outgoing email
>         [p] Incoming phone call
>         [P] Outgoing phone call
>         [c] Con call
>
> These might be handy, but it also might get really tedious clicking through
> all of those...  Just a thought.  I'd love [~] though...

I've thought about it in the past, but so far I use tags to deal with
status of tasks.

Looking at your list of suggestions I can guess at the workflow, but
not convinced these should be checkboxes. Sound more like tags that
you may want to display as an icon. Is that correct ?  Or are these
really task like ?