Re: Some quick questions

On 10/13/2012 02:57 PM, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM, JP Vossen <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently switched to Zim from really old NoteCase, and I love it, but I
have a few quick questions.

First, like someone else on the list I'm running a 0.56 instance on Windows
from the tarball using "zim.pyw".  That's so I can get the spell checker to
work, which it now does, but startup is slow and RAM use seems to be way up
over the "zim.exe" method.  Is there a better way? In-line spell checking is
a killer feature for me, as unfortunately, is Windows for $WORK (Ubuntu
otherwise).  (And I didn't upgrade to 0.57 due to reported PythonW
problems.)

Seems pythonw works fine if you add the "--standalone" option, but
afraid going to 0.57 will not help with the spell check support.

OK, will keep that in mind. Now that you mention it, I think I did see that...

Could you share how you got the spell checker to work in the first
place? I haven't managed that yet. Maybe we can ask Brendan to compile
it in if we know how to install it in the build environment.

I'm delighted to. And it would really be awesome if spell-check "worked" out-of-the-box for the Windows installer/exe version. I'm not sure what a feasible way to define "works" is though, given the other dependencies. Anyway, what I did was:

x Follow https://lists.launchpad.net/zim-wiki/msg01458.html
    # Used existing Python 2.6.6 (c:\Python26\)
x wget http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.22/pygtk-all-in-one-2.22.6.win32-py2.6.msi x wget http://pypi.python.org/packages/any/p/pyenchant/pyenchant-1.5.3.win32.exe x wget http://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/f/ff/PyGTKSpell-2.25.3.win32-py2.6.zip
    x unzip PyGTKSpell-2.25.3.win32-py2.6.zip
    x Install the 3 things just downloaded above
        # Must have Python installed and working first, of course
    x wget http://zim-wiki.org/downloads/zim-0.56.tar.gz
    x Untar in "C:\Program Files\" = "C:\Program Files\zim-0.56"
    x copy zim.py zim.pyw
    x vi zim.pyw
        # Add "import enchant " per msg01458.html

And my "shortcut" looks like:
	Target: "C:\Program Files\zim-0.56\zim.pyw"
	Start in: C:\
	Shortcut key: none 		# (though thinking about that)
	Run: Normal Window

After that Spell Checking Just Worked. But it takes several seconds to start Zim, while as I recall (portable) zim.exe started in <1 second. And I see more Python stuff using up much more RAM in the task list doing it this way.

I also had this at first but didn't need it this long:
	Target: c:\Python26\python.exe "C:\Program Files\zim-0.56\zim.pyw"

I forget why I removed the "c:\Python26\python.exe" part; because it worked without it probably. And I can see where adding that back with the "--standalone" option could help for v0.57.

That all said, I know little about Python, especially on Windows (I'm a bash & Perl guy), so suggestions for improving what I'm doing are welcome.

(Mostly OT: That Python install got there so I could run Meld on Windows, via the "untar it and write a trivial batch file" method like above for Zim, which worked. Very slow to start though, which I'd thought would be less now since I've got Zim already keeping a bunch of Python in RAM, but it's not. I use BZR qtools a lot too, but those are Python/GTK exes somehow.)

Second, are there key-bindings for list types (on Windows)?  I'm aware of
"*" and ">" when text is selected, but unlike the CTRL-1, CTRL-B, etc.
bindings, those won't change from say checkbox to bullet, which I do a lot.

There are menu options in the "format" menu, but no default
keybindings assigned.

Yup.

You can configure an key binding if you use them often.

How?  I know how to do that on Gnome/Ubuntu, but not Windows.

Third, I love the checkboxes, but it would be nice if there were more
options.  Specifically, I'd really like something for "in progress". And
maybe some others, in decreasing order of importance?

         [~] in progress

         [w] Waiting for someone else
         [#] Comment
         [!] Important (I use CTRL-U now)
         [$] Command to type

         [?] Questionable
         [e] Incoming email
         [E] Outgoing email
         [p] Incoming phone call
         [P] Outgoing phone call
         [c] Con call

These might be handy, but it also might get really tedious clicking through
all of those...  Just a thought.  I'd love [~] though...

I've thought about it in the past, but so far I use tags to deal with
status of tasks.

OK, I read about those, but I'm not clear on that and a quick review of the docs turned up these, which didn't help much:
	http://zim-wiki.org/manual/Help/Tags.html
	http://zim-wiki.org/wiki/doku.php?id=supporting_tags

That said, perhaps I need to elaborate a bit. I have a Zim Notebook containing a ton of stuff, but I spend 98% of my time on the "Status Report" page which has the days of the week as Head1 and batches of lists (mostly checkbox) under them. Stuff that I did I check off. I'd like to have stuff in-progress so when I get interrupted I know where I left off, because I often need to jump around in the list so it's rarely "top-down, next un-checked item". Stuff I didn't do gets moved to tomorrow or whatever.

At the end of the week that status report is summarized & reported, then archived in plain text (you see why I love Zim) by project and by week. Next Monday I create a new days-of-the-week structure, populate it as needed with "left-overs" and go. It's sort-of GTD-derived, is often heavily interrupt-driven :-( and is more copy-and-pasty than I'd like, but those archived docs have saved my bacon so many times it's not funny and I can't live without them.

So back to tags, since I'm jumping around in the "today" block of a larger single page, I'm not sure tags help much.

Looking at your list of suggestions I can guess at the workflow, but
not convinced these should be checkboxes. Sound more like tags that
you may want to display as an icon. Is that correct ?  Or are these
really task like ?

To me, these are "stuff I got done today (for my status report)" so they are tasks. The email and phone call stuff can pretty easily be "[*] phone call with foo" so not big deal there.

Oh, one more, is there a way to turn off word-wrap other than using verbatim? I have some long lines and often I'd rather they not wrap. It would have to be easy to toggle though, toolbar button and/or key binding...

Thanks,
JP