Re: Favicons for pages in index

I think icons for pages would be useful.

Single Icon Option
My first thought is for a set of icons that are normally "off" but can be turned on per page. I'd like the same icon image to be able to apply to more than one page but not multiple icon's per page. It seems an unnecessary restriction to say an icon can only be used once per notebook.

My use case is to help me pick out important pages, but also to give some sense of categorisation - so I might have more than one page with a "tasks" icon, several with "computer" icon etc.

Tags To Control Icons
I'm interested in Jaap's option b) though, because having a tag in a page might be a good way of enabling the page icon. I don't see how multiple icons per page would be useful in the normal tree pane though. It sounds like a different scenario which I can't imagine yet, but adding a tag seems a very good way of controlling the feature, even if we say it only displays the first specified icon tag. Or perhaps there is a way for the user to prioritise the icons globally? So for example, I have a folder of icons which match tag names, and if I want to prioritise which tags are used I can add a configuration file which can include an order of priority, and perhaps be used to turn icons off for particular tags. If needed a GUI could be added, but I guess a configuration file would do to start.

Text Styles (An Alternative)
FYI: KeynoteNF allows an icon to be selected for each "note", each of which has it's own tab/tree/editor, with the icon appearing on the tab next to the note name. There are no icons shown in the tree but KNF does allow text styles in the tree which I find quite useful to highlight where I'm working.

So an alternative to icons in the tree might be to allow text styles, either directly editable (e.g. in the rename dialog), or again linked to tags. A special case would might be to highlight based on occurrences of "TODO".

In KeynoteNF I use this to highlight pick out large numbers of nodes in bold (e.g. for prominent info, tasks, active clients), and to pick out a handful of very important nodes in red or bold-red (e.g. for templates, and where I'm working).

If I had to choose, I'd go for text styles before icons because I think text styles are easier for the eye to interpret and understand compared to the more subtle differences between icons, which would be quite small.

Mark