Re: Diagram Editor not working on Windows 7

Hi again,

Good news, I guess this is. :)

I copied your logger code into the file but no log is generated there.
So the only explanation would be that the exception thrown is not of
that type. So I expanded it to following Python-like code (:D):

                # Call GraphViz
                import sys
                import logging
                logger = logging.getLogger('zim.plugins.diagrameditor')
                logger.error('---> DEBUGGINGDEBUGGING')
                try:
                        dot = Application(dotcmd)
                        dot.run((self.pngfile, self.dotfile))
                        logger.error('---> SUCCESS')
                except ApplicationError:
                        logger.error('---> EXCEPTION')
                        logger.exception('Error running dot:')
                        return None, None # Sorry, no log
                except:
                        logger.error('UNKNOWN ERROR')
                        logger.error(sys.exc_info()[0])
                        logger.error(sys.exc_info())
                else:
                        logger.error('---> In else: clause')
                        return self.pngfile, None

Okay, reproduce.

And check the log file (personal information erased):

INFO: Locale set to: en_US.***
INFO: This is zim 0.59
DEBUG: Python version is sys.version_info(major=2, minor=7, micro=3,
releaselevel='final', serial=0)
DEBUG: Platform is nt
DEBUG: Zim revision is:
  branch: pyzim
  revision: 636 pardus@xxxxxxxx-20130123210740-rquhot1l1yzx9w0i
  date: 2013-01-23 22:07:40 +0100
DEBUG: Running from a source dir: C:\***\zim-0.59\App\ZimDesktopWiki
DEBUG: Set XDG_DATA_HOME to C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\data
DEBUG: Set XDG_DATA_DIRS to [<Dir: C:\Users\***\.local\share>]
DEBUG: Set XDG_CONFIG_HOME to C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config
DEBUG: Set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to [<Dir: C:\Users\***\.config>]
DEBUG: Set XDG_CACHE_HOME to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\zim
DEBUG: Running command: gui
DEBUG: Loading config from: C:\***.zim\notebook.zim
DEBUG: Wrote C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config\zim\notebooks.list
INFO: Opening default notebook
DEBUG: Loading config from: <ConfigFile:
C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config\zim\preferences.conf>
DEBUG: Gtk version is (2, 24, 10)
DEBUG: Pygtk version is (2, 24, 0)
DEBUG: Loading config from: <ConfigFile:
C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config\zim\style.conf>
DEBUG: Opening notebook: file:///C:/***.zim
DEBUG: Loading config from: C:\***.zim\notebook.zim
DEBUG: Cache dir: C:\***.zim\.zim
DEBUG: Index database file: C:\***.zim\.zim\index.db
DEBUG: Loading config from: C:\***.zim\.zim\state.conf
DEBUG: Loaded plugin "calendar" (<CalendarPlugin object at 0x2ae0f08
(zim+plugins+PluginClass at 0x8adb0c0)>)
DEBUG: Registered plugin <InsertDiagramPlugin object at 0x2ac3558
(zim+plugins+PluginClass at 0x8adb170)> for image type "diagram"
DEBUG: Loaded plugin "diagrameditor" (<InsertDiagramPlugin object at
0x2ac3558 (zim+plugins+PluginClass at 0x8adb170)>)
DEBUG: Loaded plugin "insertsymbol" (<InsertSymbolPlugin object at
0x2ac51c0 (zim+plugins+PluginClass at 0x8adb410)>)
DEBUG: Loaded plugin "printtobrowser" (<PrintToBrowserPlugin object at
0x2ae6bc0 (zim+plugins+PluginClass at 0x8adb4f0)>)
INFO: Starting async index update
INFO: Open page: <FileStorePage: ***> (<HistoryPath: ***>)
DEBUG: Accelmap: C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config\zim\accelmap
DEBUG: Wrote C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\zim\config\zim\preferences.conf
DEBUG: Action: set_pathbar_path
DEBUG: Action: toggle_panes
DEBUG: Action: set_toolbar_icons_only
INFO: Index update done
DEBUG: Action: insert_diagram
DEBUG: Wrote c:\users\***\appdata\local\temp\zim-***\diagram.dot
DEBUG: Opening dialog "Insert Diagram - Zim"
DEBUG: Wrote c:\users\***\appdata\local\temp\zim-***\diagram.dot
ERROR: ---> DEBUGGINGDEBUGGING
INFO: Running: ['dot', '-Tpng', '-o',
'c:\\users\\***\\appdata\\local\\temp\\zim-***\\diagram.png',
'c:\\users\\***\\appdata\\local\\temp\\zim-***\\diagram.dot'] (cwd:
None)
ERROR: UNKNOWN ERROR
ERROR: <type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>
ERROR: (<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>, WindowsError(6, 'The handle
is invalid'), <traceback object at 0x02AE0738>)
ERROR: Could not generate image
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zim\gui\imagegeneratordialog.pyo", line 210, in generate_image
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

(End of log file)

As you can see, the exception is exceptions.WindowsError(6, 'The
handle is invalid').

Two pages looked useful from Google result:

https://bitbucket.org/cherrypy/cherrypy/issue/1016/windowserror-error-6-the-handle-is-invalid
http://bugs.python.org/issue3905

I didn't understand a thing about what they're talking about, but
while I scrolled down:

--- quote ---
1. When this is run in a subsystem:windows process (like PythonWin or
IDLE) that is launched from Windows Explorer (e.g. from a Start Menu
shortcut or Desktop shortcut) then `GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE)`
returns None.
In this case you *don't* get the error that Todd described, because the
code path taken in subprocess.py then use CreatePipe for the `p2cread`
variable on which `DuplicateHandle` is called.
--- end of quote ---

I don't know what that means, but I tried to start zim.exe from
Explorer and ... (Y^____^Y) I worked!

However, throwing exceptions when it's launched from command line is
still a bug I guess?

Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? Mine is 64bit, this could be the reason?

Bagana