Re: Folder structure

2013/8/20 Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> [...]
>
> The suffix, or the "-attachments" folders solve a problem for indexing. This
> is a problem I will solve differently when refactoring the index. The idea
> is that zim will inspect the content of text files to determine whether or
> not it are pages. I don't mind allowing alternative suffix as well if that
> makes interoperability easier, but for default will stick to ".txt".
>
> [...]
>
> Regards,
>
> Jaap

Just a quick list of issues that are raised by the ambigous file
extension and would require major (probably OS-dependent) pains to fix
without changing the extension:

  + No distinction from plain text files by icon (inconvenient e.g.
    when viewing results of desktop search).
  + No double-click-to-open in file browsers / search results without
    breaking the behaviour for non-zim .txt files.
  + ZIM must check .txt files for ZIM page format,
      - when indexing
      - when listing attachments
      - ... ?
  + When processing notebooks through an interactive shell,
    distinguishing normal text files from zim page files is unviable
    and inconvenient when processing them with shell scripts.

Is there some reason, why you want to keep the ".txt" extension? I
can't see much of an advantage.

  - Klaus