Re: Re-ordering the index / custom sorting

Hi Jaap,

>1/ Do you only want custom ordering, or switch between custom and alphabetical sorting ?

What I’d love to see is the possibility to enable / disable a personal index

My current structure is:

004Projects

004-0010-ProjectA

                001-Information-ProjectA

                002-Tasks-ProjectA

                003-Meetings-ProjectA

                M001-DATE-ProjectA

                M002-DATE-ProjectA

                M003-DATE-ProjectA

003-OngoingTopics-ProjectA

004-0020-ProjectB

004-0030-ProjectC

… using the pre-fix numbers for sorting.

So putting this together means that I would need the possibility to sort

·         according to creation date

·         setting the position manually

>2/ If so, where do you click to switch between custom ordering and alphabetic ordering ? And how this switch affect sub-sections ?

Basically I need to have the option per parent note to make child notes sorted against. So, right-clicking on the parent note should show a popup menu

In above example I would sort manually:

004-0010-ProjectA

                001-Information-ProjectA

                002-Tasks-ProjectA

                003-Meetings-ProjectA

003-OngoingTopics-ProjectA

These should be sorted against creation date:

                003-Meetings-ProjectA

                M001-DATE-ProjectA

                M002-DATE-ProjectA

                M003-DATE-ProjectA

>3/ When index has custom ordering, where do new pages show up - at the end, in the front, other position ?

According to the selected option in parent note. There could be an exception though -->

>5/ ... what did I not think of yet ... ?

If camel case creation is switched on, the notes which are created automatically need to be placed as child notes and should be sorted alphabetically as standard.

>4/ Should custom sorting depend on list of links in parent page ? (Either by default or as a plugin)

That is a nice idea. On the one hand it could make it easier for the user to find the notes in the index if the index order follows the order in the note, but on the other hand, if the
links are not in a list within a note, I don’t see a direct visual connection to the index order and to the order within the note.

-->

>5/ ... what did I not think of yet ... ?

I often use parent notes as ‘folders’ with little or no content. Such ‘special’ notes could have the option to have the sub-notes listed as links (basically your idea at 4/ with an addition)

Thank you and Regards,
Murat