Re: Port to Qt

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015, at 04:07, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Matt Bromberg
> <mattcbro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just how hard would such a project be?

> As hard as writing the user interface from scratch. Porting gtk2 to
> gtk3 needs some repairs, but is mostly re-use of the same API. Going
> to a different toolkit means re-writing all the code that we have.
>
> For mobile versions I have more faith in HTML5 based solutions. So on
> my side I will not invest time in other toolkits.

I don't know much about IOS development, but as I understand it, I think
you'd have to rewrite the whole storage layer of Zim too. You don't just
put arbitrary file trees on an IOS device and then use an editor to edit
the files. The only way Zim could work on IOS would be to implement file
embedded in an SQLite database locally, or read and write DIRECTLY from
a service like Dropbox.

It's not just a matter of tweaking the UI to make it small-screen
friendly, even if you have a GUI toolkit that supports the target.

Brendan Kidwell