Re: New Plugin: BookmarksBar

On 09/12/2015 06:00 AM, Pl wrote:
> Hi, Mario.
>
> There is an option 'Save bookmarks' in plugin configuration (Edit >
> Preferences > Plugins > BookmarksBar > Configure). If you check it, the
> plugin will save bookmarks between sessions.

+1 to make that the default, but not a big deal.

> To All:
>
> Thanks to all for your feedbacks. Now there is another update – I have
> implemented some of yourrequests and also added some of mine. Anybody
> who wantsto test it welcome to the“[Feature Request] BookmarksBar
> plugin” topic in launchpad.

Awesome!  Thank you for the ability to use the short name and to change
the order of bookmarks!  I've been using this for the last week and it
has made a nice "quality of life" difference.  It's not huge, but
sometimes it's those little things that matter, and to me this is one of
them.

> Some Remarks.
>
> I really would like to introduce Drag&Drop for reordering bookmarks but
> it is buggy (at least in Win). As I understand the reason is GTK2. I
> hope that the situation with GTK3 will bebetter and Zim is going to be
> ported to GTK3 (at least I saw that Jaap Karssenberg created such
> branch). After that I could try to introduce DnD again. Until then use
> new Copy/Paste menu options to reorder bookmarks.

Works for me, though "copy" is a bit misleading.  I "copy" then "paste"
but it really does a "move" but copy implies that I'd end up with 2.
I'd vote to change "copy" to "cut" since that's really what it does,
though I can understand why you might not want to use that word.  I
can't think of a better word though, and this is the classic case of
cut/paste.

> I introduced limit to the number of bookmarks simply because I don't see
> a need in creating many bookmarks - it will be inconvenient to work with
> them (there is no quick view for bookmarks, no grouping, no icons, no
> backups, no quick search...). If there are too many pages to keep it may
> be better to use other instruments like tags - there is a number of
> useful plugins for working with them thanks to other plugin writers.
> There may be other approaches: it is possible to make a bookmark of a
> parent page where all important pages are and then click on this bookmark
> and pick sub pages from the Index. Also it is possible to create a page
> where links to other pages will be saved and put this page as a bookmark
> to the bar.

As it works now is *perfect* for me.  If I really want to change the
limit it's easy to find in the code.  I have 7 now, and could see a few
more (since they are now smaller).  15 works for me.

Part of my "hack" for getting the "recent" bar to behave like the
bookmark bar was a page of links.  But then I had to go click them all
to "load" the recent bar, and after that I was afraid of going to so
other page since that would mess me up.  Bookmarks solve all of that!

Thanks,
JP