Re: Zim Desktop Wiki 0.66 for Windows is ready to download

I contacted Microsoft about this issue and following is their answer:
Please note, Microsoft does NOT offer whitelisting for vendor’s products.

Reputation for products offered is established by how your download is used by the Internet Explorer, Edge and the SmartScreen® Service intelligence algorithms.  Downloads are assigned a reputation rating based on many criteria, such as download traffic, download history, past anti-virus results and URL reputation.  This reputation may be based on the downloaded program or can also be assigned to the publisher, based on digital certificate information.  Downloads that are digitally signed allow a publisher’s reputation to be applied to all of their signed downloads.

All certificates, renewed as well as new, need to establish reputation. However, a renewed certificate, especially one that uses the same details as the old certificate, will gain reputation more quickly than a new one. Many signing certificates are valid for long periods, so certificate renewals are not typically very frequent.

While reputation is being gained, users are able to download and install your applications despite the message that the application is unrecognized. To do so:

   - Edge browser – View downloads -  access the Hub (Favorites, reading list, history and downloads), click Downloads and then right-click on the file listed and select Run anyway.

   - IE browser -  View downloads and select Run under Actions for the listed downloaded file.

Once the certificate has gained reputation, any applications signed with it will have the benefit of that reputation, so no warning will be shown to users downloading or installing the application. A certificate can be used to sign multiple applications.

Another option you may want to explore is obtaining an EV Authenticode certificate. An application signed with an EV Authenticode certificate can immediately establish reputation with SmartScreen reputation services even if no prior reputation exists for that file or Authenticode certificate. EV code signing certificates are now being issued by Symantec, DigiCert, and GlobalSign.

The feedback tool for SmartScreen is still in place to report possible false warnings about phish or malware.  Those warnings include a link to a form to submit a report.

Application Reputation warnings are meant to inform end users when applications do not have known positive reputation. This doesn’t mean that the application is definitely malicious, only that is “unknown”.  In many cases, especially if a certificate has been renewed, reputation is gained very quickly, and don’t require any review or intervention.

Here are some references that may provide more information:

   - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/03/22/smartscreen-application-reputation-building-reputation/

   - https://blog.digicert.com/ms-smartscreen-application-reputation/

   - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/05/17/smartscreen-application-reputation-in-ie9/

   - https://feedback.smartscreen.microsoft.com/smartscreenfaq.aspx.