Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 15:26 -0700, Tyler Brainerd wrote:

> How in the world is highlight selecting folders for copying or moving
> supposed to be easier on the user?

I never said selecting a folder for copying or moving would be easier.
In fact, I said the methods for doing so (some of them) would have to
change. Note that "not easier" is not the same as "harder".

> Further, what I said was "in the curren icon mode" as in, if we are
> going to do this, we have to rethink everything about it, not just
> changing open to a single click. As in, we have to rethink how we
> present selecting items, copying them, moving them.

No, it doesn't. In fact, very little has to change.

Take copying for example. There are a variety of ways to do this, and
while the lists below are by no means exhaustive, they are indicative.
(In the examples operations are separated by commas, copy and paste
commands are interchangeable between examples, and compound operations
are indicated by a + for keyboard controls and > for menu navigation.)

In a double-click environment
* left-click folder, Ctrl + C, [navigate], Ctrl + V
* right-click folder > Copy, [navigate], right-click > Paste
* left-click-drag selection over folder, right-click folder > Copy,
[navigate], right-click > Paste

In a single-click environment
* Ctrl + left-click folder, Ctrl + C, [navigate], Ctrl + V
* right-click folder > Copy, [navigate], right-click > Paste
* left-click-drag selection over folder, right-click folder > Copy,
[navigate], right-click > Paste

The only difference is the additional requirement for the Ctrl key in
selecting a folder in a single-click environment.