Re: [Ayatana] Tabs

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 15:37 -0700, Tyler Brainerd wrote:
> I'll try to be brief. Currently, alt tab moves between windows.
> Ctrl-Tab moves between tabs in some programs, not all. Special (Win
> Key) and tab does nothing.
> It would kinda make more sense if we did this: Ctrl-Tab moves between
> tabs, system wide. Special and tab moves between windows (the old
> standard alt-tab) and alt tab moves between workspaces. General to
> specific, vice versa.
>
> I know it would suck to change up the alt-tab control, but we've got
> three keys which are (generally) in a row, and we use only two, and
> could make all three useful and make sense.

We can't really rely on the super key (as others have mentioned).
However, since switching between desktops is already available through
to Ctrl + Alt + [Arrow], we could add Super + Tab as a  way to cycle
through desktops in the same way Alt + Tab cycles through windows.

As for Ctrl + Tab, the only app I know of that supports that is Firefox.
Also, Ctrl + Tab has other uses (see link below).

This does raise an interesting point though: we should probably aim for
consistency for handling tabs (and shortcut keys in general). My quick
test yields a few different approaches:

Terminal:
Focus: Ctrl + PgUp and Ctrl + PgDown
Move: Ctrl + Shift + PgUp and Ctrl + Shift + PgDown
Create: Ctrl + Shift + T
Close: Ctrl + Shift + W
New window: Ctrl + Shift + N

Gedit:
Focus: Ctrl + Alt + PgUp and Ctrl + Alt + PgDown
Move: (can't find a way to do this)
Create: Ctrl + N
Close: Ctrl + W
Close all: Ctrl + Shift + W
New window: (can't find a way to do this)
Close window: Ctrl + Q

Firefox:
Focus: Ctrl + PgUp and Ctrl + PgDown or Ctrl + Tab and Ctrl + Shift +
Tab
Move: (can't find a way to do this)
Create: Ctrl + T
Close: Ctrl + W
New window: Ctrl + N
Close window: Ctrl + Shift + W
Close application: Ctrl + Q

It would be nice to standardise these (and other apps). There's already
a relevant section in the GNOME HIG:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-keyboard.html.en
but it doesn't say anything about tabs (although it does mention
documents).