Re: [Ayatana] OMG!Ubuntu a bane or a boon? [was]Re: The new default wallpaper

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Vishnoo <vish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 08:23 -0300, Conscious User wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some of you might be already aware of the controversy caused
> by the (supposed) new default wallpaper:
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/ubuntu-1010-default-wallpaper.html
> http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-joke-that-is-mavericks-default-wallpaper/
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/625193
>
> Because no one at the bug report mentioned the problem here,
> despite being repeatedly recommended by Vish to doing so, I
> am bringing up the subject.
>
> Personally, I must admit I have never seem such a heavy
> backlash before.

Backlash? Where?
Are we now considering the above mentioned blog as a representative of
the whole Ubuntu community?

They are Ubuntu users and thus do indeed have to be heard. Unlike most of the "Ubuntu Community" who are active in the Ubuntu scene. The comments from OMG! Ubuntu as well as the launchpad bug comments represent people who are not blessed as Ubuntu community members, yet are part of the Ubuntu eco-system. Maybe we should take their opinion sometimes, especially if its very much heard.

Some of the comments there are often highly disrespectful to upstream
GNOME authors and I have personally seen upstream authors take offense
to the comments on that blog. [at times to the articles too] And had to
say that those are not the views of the whole Ubuntu community.

And when they offend they apologize so we should all get over it already.

What worries me is that, if we consider those blog comments to be a
representative of the whole Ubuntu community, then Upstream is justified
at being offended.

There is constructive criticism and there is just criticism/cynicism.
Anonymity does not give a person the instant right to be rude.

While it is easy for someone to make a passing comment about upstreams,
it becomes a waste of time for people who have to interact with
upstreams.
We could all be more productive if people spent half that time, they
spend commenting, on something more useful.

So any comment on something you don't agree with is not productive. I dont know where you are going with changing the subject of the mail but i think its offensive... I could just as easily write the same post on my blog and dare you to write a subject on the mailing list.
Please don't take stuff personally. I have been there and it is not a good path. You do awesome work but your only human and sometimes designers or developers can see something as awesome while other see it as not. This is a chance for the design team to reevaluate some work, or explain it.

--
Cheers,
Vish