Re: [Ayatana] Unity - Web and People

On 02/11/10 17:21, Anzan Hoshin Roshi wrote:

On 2 November 2010 12:19, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's what I'd love from a "People" place:

1. The ability to import contacts from Gmail
2. The ability to easily merge/edit contacts

these are the points relevant for the moment..
Most important of all:
Merge.
I usually have between 30%-60% duplication in my Contact List. If i had a "Manage Contacts" button somewhere in Empathy, which exposes the Contacts as "Individuals" in individual containers, all i would want to do is select all objects pertaining to a person, including thumbnail/avatar and click "Merge" in the toolbar.

At the end of the day, Contacts would be displayed just like Music Albums, Movies and Photos: thumbnails with titles..
Would be cool to see all the fields in a side pane, when one of these thumbs is selected.
like
[AVATAR]
Name _________   [Presence State e.g. "do not disturb"]
   @      [text]
                    [chat]
                    [email]
                    [sms]
   #       [call]
                    [Skype]
                                [Video: Yes|No]
                    [XMPP]
                                [Video: Yes|No]
www    [visit]
                    [Homepage]
                    [Blog]
                    [Social Network ProfileA]
                    [Social Network ProfileB]

3. The ability to email, IM, Tweet, Skype a contact

this is curretly being hindered by e.g. retarded account setup wizards in Evolution and Gwibber, plus the lack of Skype integration. Let's get your #1 and #2 i.e. native contact management right first, i suggest..

4. The ability to transfer a file to a contact (by whatever means is available)

Contact List does this already for filexfer via xmpp
Nautilus Send To does this for filetransfer via email attachment... fun ends with Evolution's retarded account wizard
Giver does this, too, but that was obviously only a fun project, or there's no development taking it further

5. The ability to invite a contact to remote desktop

Contact List already implements this AFAIK:
"Share my desktop"

6. For Gwibber, Evolution and Empathy to all pickup the contacts if they have Twitter, Email or IM accounts respectively.
7. Ubuntu One contact sync

Export to Google Contacts would be a step into that direction.
Ubuntu One contact sync has never worked for me, i don't know on what basis the devs decided they now have evidence that their implementation now works..

The centerpiece of the evolution you are suggesting would be a place to merge information artefacts into storage objects of the type that Travis Reitter calls "Individuals". Find all the pieces easily and put Pinnochio together!
There should be a way of knowing at first glance whether an individual is Available for instant forms of communication.

Empathy is a part of telepathy, their designated task is to bring to us a good IM experience up to VoIP and communicating Presence. Since this information is being shared without prejudice with every application interested via DBus, Places > People should do the same. There should be a functional API to allow trusted apps to use the information we collected about our Contacts.