Re: [Ayatana] Unity - Web and People

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 01:52 +0100, frederik nnaji wrote:
> i love this thread!
> Do you have access to Evolution Contacts also?
> Or perhaps Thunderbird?
> Evolution used to have a plugin that could exchange contacts with
> Pidgin!
> Gnome Do already merged Pidgin contacts with Evolution contacts, it's
> just that its interface was so reductionist that it was kinda
> undiscoverable..
> It would be nice to aggregate information artefacts on individuals
> from everywhere relevant, i.e. also from Gwibber.
> To avoid duplication of effort, i suggest coding the contact
> information retrieval modules independently from the social apps, i.e.
> from empathy / gwibber / emailapp..   those should rather be consumers
> of that information.

Agreed completely. At Ubuntu One we're working on precisely the idea of
handling merging of contacts, pulling in your contacts from Facebook and
Google and so on. So I suggest that the People place shouldn't worry
about fetching all the contacts from everywhere; instead, just display
whatever's in the Ubuntu One addressbook, and then as we add more
contacts to that addressbook they'll all appear in Unity, and the People
place itself doesn't have to worry about a million different contact
sources; it can concentrate on displaying really useful information
about those contacts rather than the contacts themselves.

sil