Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm

On 22/11/10 15:30, Jonathan Meek wrote:
> Yes, what I meant is that C Maglothin's idea of a project idea
> effectively is a folder. A collection of files that are generally
> associated in some way. In other words, it seemed he was re-naming the
> same concept. (Wherein a "project" would just be a folder in our
> conventional system used now.)

Hi,

I just remember reading a paper on using folders for managing personal
projects:

"Don't take my folders away!: organizing personal information to get
things done" - W. Jones et al.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1056808.1056952&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=112266263&CFTOKEN=62789306

The researchers found that there were two main ways in which folders
were used:

 - as a way to break a complex problem into smaller ones,
   to help understanding it

 - as a planning tool, breaking big tasks into smaller ones

Have a look at the paper if you can :-)

Regards,

Felipe