Re: [Ayatana] Put a resize widget in the title bar

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Frederik Nnaji
<frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-25 at 19:31 +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
>> <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi Remco,

>> > yeah, essentially, i would love to see stuff snapping to an invisible grid.
>> > This could then be disabled by holding a modifier key such as [ALT].
>> > By default, snap to grid should be enabled for:
>> > * moving windows
>> > * resizing windows
>> > * scaling windows
>> > i also suggest strongly to consider window controls as nothing else than
>> > what the name suggests:
>> > controls for the window at hand.
>> > often, we are confronted with the question whether or not closing a window
>> > will quit the app contained in it.
>> > This is poor design, i mean, window controls are not well designed, if they
>> > affect the service instead of only the window.
>> > Now about Compiz Grid.. it's remarkable, the windows7 thingy is fully
>> > implemented and of course completely configurable to the corner and pixel ;)
>> > i jast had an easy time splitting my screen in two halves.. took me 2
>> > click-drag-releases.
>> > Thanks to whoever did that in Compiz!
>>
>> It was scott :) He's a dude.
>
> thank you, Scott!
>

>> Apologies to hijack this thread - I have already got a sample
>> implementation of implementing a resize grip area set by the theme
>> which is larger than the borders and it vastly resolves the precision
>> problem. It requires a patched metacity though
>
> now.. how would we do that then?

Compile my stuff and try it? You need to tweak the themes manually though.

> now that compiz grid is all pretty like that, i can't wait to get my
> hands on some physical object resistance.. so i can use the border of
> one grid-placed window to bump against and push the border of another
> window.. i'd need proper resize handles for that first. I for one am
> interested in checkin thiz out!
>
> i thought maximumize would be able to help with that, but i think that's
> a different process.. looks to me more like a  new feature.

Maximumize expands windows to fill available space

> In bluetile (thanks OmegaYear), adjacent gridded windows share 1 border,
> so if you move it, you resize both windows at the same time.

You mean like a tiling wm kind of thing?

That would be kind of cool to implement. I had thought about the best
way to do this, but it is tricky, I'd need to sit down and figure out
the most natural way to combine a floating and tiling wm in this case.
I've wanted to do it for some time, just, I have had no time to do it
yet.

--
Sam Spilsbury