Re: [Ayatana] White text in lenses doesn't work well with light background images.

On 08/31/2011 02:25 AM, Conscious User wrote:

1 - use an outline
2 - use the opposite of the background in a chosen color space

3 - switch to black text for any background that exceeds some brightness level on most of its surface.

4 - forget about the transparency. Set static back- and foreground colors. Have a heart for everyone with less than perfect vision.

It should be mentioned that GNOME always had this problem with the label
of desktop icons. It partially solves it with a drop shadow, but it is
not enough for light backgrounds. Attached is a screenshot with a
wallpaper from the Natty default set.

Indeed, if I squint my eyes just a bit, what I see resembles a badly rendered dark gray text. That is, what I can see is the shadow duplicate of the text, while the white original only serves to shoot holes through it.

This is why I propose to switch the main text color, if you don't restrict the background more tightly.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/