Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

2011/9/4 a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx <a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

On 4 September 2011 14:04, Kévin PEIGNOT <winniemiel05@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't agree. PPA should be used only to install unstable / unsupported
> features. I think the problem is that a lot of very good programs aren't in
> the default repository and need to be installed via PPA.
>
> PPA installation shouldn't be too easy for newbies, because it can be risky
> for their system, even if they don't realize that.

when you're making something difficoult for the end user by design,
you're limiting his freedom.
Just advise the user that enabling/adding a PPA could make the system
unstable and the user will be able to choose.

An even better solution would be to (a) check and warn whether a given PPA is potentially dangerous to stability (e.g. because it modifies system libraries) and (b) make rollbacks simple in case of system damage.