Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

There are a few things we need before we can consider making adding PPAs
easy. First of all, we need an easy way to limit what packages can be
upgraded/installed from that PPA. If you add a PPA because you want a
set of fancy wallpapers, for instance, then that PPA should not be able
to push a patched SSHd. It should only be able to add and update
wallpapers. Nothing else. I think those kinds of PPAs are ticking bombs
right now. How this should be done, I don't know.

The second thing we need, is a peer review system and vouchers for PPAs.
This is also challenging, of course, because the majority is not always
right. If the "peers" would give the PPA a good review because the
wallpapers are nice, but didn't have a look at what packages it
contains, install scripts, etc, then it would be better to not have a
peer review at all. Perhaps only Ubuntu Members would get a vote,
following the assumption that all members would know how important this is?

So, no, there are too many unresolved issues to make adding PPAs a
matter of simple point and clicks. This is why it was removed/hidden
from apturl.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad