Or perhaps try it the other way, with the Intel integrated graphics enabled. That seems relatively well supported by Linux in most variants--it certainly works fine in my UL30a.

Then, you could try installing an updated driver for the Nvidia and re-enabling it once everything is running well with the install.

David

On 02/23/2011 04:09 PM, Victor A. Stoichita wrote:
Not sure about UL31. Does it have two video cards like the ul30 ? In that case, you may try disabling one of them in the bios. For UL30 the alternative is between something like "windows7/Vista" and "other". With the "other" checked, it turns off completely the intel card, leaving just the nvidia one. It may help you installing the system in the first place.
Cheers,
Victor

On 22 February 2011 19:20, frauke <kttywu@xxxxxxxx <mailto:kttywu@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Forwarding this to mailing list.

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Problem installing Ubuntu 10.10
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:49:02 -0000
    From: jag3068 <jag3068@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jag3068@xxxxxxxxx>>
    To: kttywu <kttywu@xxxxxxxx <mailto:kttywu@xxxxxxxx>>

    Here come the words that probably fill you all with dread... I am
    new to
    Linux! Well, fairly new at least. I have been running Ubuntu 10.10
    on my
    old laptop for a couple of months now and love it. However, I just
    got a
    new Asus U31JG and I cannot install Ubuntu at all. There have been
    various issues in the process that have absorbed a lot of time but I
    won't bore you with the details. At present, trying to install 10.10
    from a LiveCD, the installation process goes right through to the
    point
    where a dialogue box appears asking if I want to try ubuntu or install
    it. Almost immediately the box disappears and the install stops at the
    purple splash screen with no cursor visible. I understand that
    this is a
    video card problem but can't find a work around that actually works.

    Tried doing an F6 and installing with the 'nomodeset' and 'ACPI=off'
    options but, basically, the same result (except that it is the 'choose
    your language screen' that disappears almost instantly).

    Also tried booting an alternate iso from USB drive but I just couldn't
    get that to work.

    If anyone has any words of advice, I'd be really grateful. Thanks.
-- This message was sent from Launchpad by
    jag3068 (https://launchpad.net/~jag3068
    <https://launchpad.net/%7Ejag3068>)
    to each member of the ASUS U/UL Series laptop team using the
    "Contact this
    team" link on the ASUS U/UL Series laptop team page
    (https://launchpad.net/~asus-ul30
    <https://launchpad.net/%7Easus-ul30>).
    For more information see