banking-addons-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: banking refactoring next step

Dear OCA friends,

joel.grandguillaume@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Bidoul, Stéphane <
> stephane.bidoul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This work I'm doing now, plus the work Alexis is doing in backporting the
>> bank statement import framework from Odoo master, makes me think it's time
>> to attempt to clarify OCA banking landscape.

First, a few words about my work on backporting the module
account_bank_statement_import to v8 (patch here
http://people.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/account_bank_statement_import-80-backport.diff)
and my new module account_bank_statement_import_fr_cfonb that adds support
for the good old French text bank statement format (that I just published
on LP :
https://code.launchpad.net/~akretion-team/openerp-french-localization/80-cfonb-bank-statement-import).
This initiative is not a well-thought move from me. It's just that I am
trying to help a company that is already using Odoo v8 and urgently needs a
solution to import bank statements. I personally have no experience with
the bank statement import/reconcile features of the OCA branch
"bank-reconcile" nor of the (incompatible) equivalent in the OCA branch
"banking", which are available for v7 but not yet for v8 AFAIK. So I
thought it would be probably quicker for me to try the new bank
statement/reconcile framework of Odoo v8 and I saw the positive tweet about
it from Frederic Clementi
https://twitter.com/Frederic_C2C/status/509963543798484992. I was surprised
to see that the bank statement import framework was only in master branch
and not in v8 (after the presentations at the Odoo Days, I thought this
feature would be in v8). So I decided to try to backport it and develop a
module to import CFONB files. It took me 5 minutes to backport the import
module to v8 and only a few hours to write the module
account_bank_statement_import_fr_cfonb. But I haven't really tested the new
reconcile framework yet so I don't have an opinion on it so far.

This is just to clarify that my recent work on the new bank statement
framework of OpenERP S.A. is NOT a well-thought move from me, only an
attempt at trying to import bank statement in v8 in the very short term
with minimum development efforts from me.

>> Some questions - these are a bit bold, not intended to offense anyone,
>> only to trigger the discussion:
>> - should we deprecate OCA/account-payment in favor of the payment part of
>> OCA/banking
>>

> => I'm in favor iof that

Of course ! I developed the modules account_payment_sale,
account_payment_sale_stock, account_payment_purchase and
account_payment_partner in the "banking" branch precisely for that purpose
: these 4 modules introduce in OCA/banking one of the last missing features
that was blocking users of OCA/account-payment to move to OCA/banking, cf
https://lists.launchpad.net/banking-addons-drivers/msg00059.html. This
would avoid unfortunate initiatives such as
https://code.launchpad.net/sepa-tools that duplicate efforts and code.

>> - should we merge OCA/bank-statement-reconcile and the bank statement
>> import part of OCA/banking (we already said yes, but can we do it now?)
>>

> => Definitely yes !
>

>> - should we deprecate the bank statement import features we have in OCA
>> in favor of a backport of the new framework in Odoo master branch?
>>

> => Yes, we should !

I may miss something, but your 2 answers above seems contradictory. If we
deprecate the bank statement import features of OCA in favor of the new
framework in Odoo master branch, it means that there is no point in
continuing to put efforts on OCA/bank-statement-reconcile nor on the bank
statement import part of OCA/banking... so it's probably not a good idea to
put efforts in merging them.

>> Is it the right time for such decisions? How to organize the discussion?

For me, it's a bit too early to take such decisions, because I don't have
enough experience to say if the new bank statement framework in the
official addons is really better than what we have in OCA or not. But, now
that v8 is officially released, we need to take a decision on this soon in
order to drive all our efforts in the same direction. If experts that have
experience with both the new bank statement framework of OpenERP S.A. and
the bank statement features of OCA v7 can demonstrate that the new bank
statement framework of OpenERP S.A. is better, then I'm OK with adopting
the new bank statement framework of OpenERP S.A.

Alexis

--
Alexis de Lattre
Akretion France - 35B rue Montgolfier - 69100 Villeurbanne - France