bashareteam team mailing list archive

Does BaShare work properly with right-to-left (RTL) languages?

Hi,

My question is if BaShare's UI will display correctly with languages
that are written from right to left, such as Arabic, Farsi or Hebrew.
I am asking this because we have just received the whole translation
for Hebrew, and I wanted to make sure that we will be able to use
this. In theory it should not be a problem, because Gambas'
documentation says:

    A localization difficulty comes from right-to-left written
languages: Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew. The user interface must reverse some
of its components to follow the writing direction.
    That should be automatic, as soon as you always use layout
containers like HBox, VBox, HPanel and VPanel, or containers that have
their Arrangement property set.
    The other part of the GUI (menus, labels, widget scrollbars...)
should adapt, provided that the underlying toolkit (Qt or GTK+)
behaves correctly.
    To try a reversed GUI, you can set the $GB_REVERSE environmental
variable before starting your program. Please tell if something does
not display correctly.

Source: "GUI Localization" at the bottom of http://gambasdoc.org/help/doc/locale

We just need to make sure that it actually works OK. I don't know if
we can do that ourselves, or if we need to ask Yaron (our Hebrew
translator, https://launchpad.net/~sh-yaron) to get the latest version
out of Bazaar and tell us if the strings appear OK (I'm sure we will
need to adapt some parts of the UI to fit the messages, though)

Guido, what do you think about that?

Cheers,
Emilien.

Follow ups