bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Status of the mentorship, request for feedback

My experience is very similar to Steven's.

1. At this point I'm following the mailing list, reading Answers, Buglists and Forums. I haven't got my teeth into a bug recently because of more pressing commitments but spend time as I can.

2. I've worked on less than 10 bugs that were reported by others.

3. What I expect from a mentorship program like this is help getting started. As Steven said in more detail the organization is not obvious to the new guy and the size of the bug list is overwhelming. Also a mailing list for newbies is more conducive to discussion and learning the process.

4. If I were to pick one light bulb that went off from my participation is the answer to both "Where do I start" and "What should I work on" is "Start anywhere you want and do anything you want". This is both good and bad as the new guy often doesn't know what they want but once we do that's all we want to do.

I think the biggest benefit to me and the QA team from my participation is that my bug reports are much more complete. I use Ubuntu everyday on my laptop, workstation and webserver. When I have an issue that seems to be more software related than stupid cockpit error, I can describe it, back it up with data, and try to produce a procedure to repeat it in the report.

Joe