c4c-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Large Binary Files

Hi Israel, All,

Yes, zsync, rsync or even curl could do that job easily. A simple shell
script could do what is needed here.

If you have ever used MSYS/MinGW, this is exactly how their installer
works for pulling packages to install form the SF server. The same for
the QT Open Source installer, and it pull a is HUGE amount of data at
install.

best regards,

Greg.

On 05/18/2015 07:43 AM, Israel wrote:
> [...]
>
> we could host all our content on a c4c server.
> then the package could simply be a dummy package that requires zsync,
> and then postinst
> runs something like:
> cd /usr/share/c4c/Music
> zsync http:://c4cserver.org/ot.tar.xz.zsync
>
> then unpacks the tarball and syncs it to the user's Music folder.  As
> long as the user can read the files (not modify them... file
> permissions)  we will be good to go.
>
> Another good idea would be to include in the MetaData of the music a
> copyright notice
>
> Also, including some sort of dialog (zenity or xterm + dialog would be
> great for this) to say:
> "$LICENSE_AGREEMENT
> Do you accept these terms of use?"
> where LICENSE_AGREEMENT=""#whatever you want to put as the agreement
>
> zsync will easily mitigate the HUGE amount of stuff that needs to be
> downloaded, and also automatically checks md5sum and can resume if
> internet connection is broken
>

> On 05/17/2015 04:50 PM, KI7MT wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> It's not so much the change in material itself that is the issue,
>> rather, it's the history of change within the branch that will cause us
>> problems.
>>
>> I've been looking for solutions too this, but have not found a suitable
>> one alternative yet, aside from a downloading system that the user
>> initiates. Not to mention, having restricted contest in an open source
>> management system is really not appropriate.
>>
>> Including the restricted content with each system, by some means of
>> downloading after usage acceptance would be fine, as long as the
>> location is outside of the VCS system on Launchpad. Mixing and matching
>> Restricted / Copyrighted material with Open Source License material in
>> the same branch location should be avoided if at all possible.
>>
>> This happens allot with application like Wine (Microsoft DLL's),
>> restricted codecs (MP3, MP4 etc), Microsoft True fonts, but those files
>> have a small disk space foot print. It's very grey area to say the least.
>>
>> If it were my choice, I would not post restricted material in the VCS
>> system.
>>

>> best regards,
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> On 05/17/2015 03:13 PM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> Many of the C4C-Specific files really are huge, but none of them have
>>> much a chance of being updated, especially between major releases.
>>> Here's the top 7 potential packages - biggest first - (size after
>>> expansion/install):
>>>
>>> 662.5 MB The Gospel of John, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John in MP3. It's
>>> included because it is one of the best, if not the best book in which to
>>> start reading the Bible and it's wonderfully read and explained (as this
>>> church does), in order, verse by verse. This wouldn't even be possible
>>> to change or add to for years and years.
>>> 637.3 MB The Entire Old Testament in MP3, World English Bible (WEB)
>>> version. This will not be added to or changed.
>>> 303.8 MB Christian Music MP3s. There is a possibility that this may be
>>> updated - expanded only - if we get permission from additional Christian
>>> recording artists. But, they'd have to offer because I haven't asked
>>> anyone for permission to use their music in a good while. It took many,
>>> many months before I got as music as I did - and frankly, it was
>>> exhausting. If we get any additional music, we can certainly make sure
>>> we don't add it in until the next LTS release.
>>> 191.7 MB The pre-installed and indexed Bibles, Commentaries,
>>> Devotionals, Dictionaries, General Books and Maps for use with Bible
>>> Desktop and Xiphos. There is a possibility one or two modules will be
>>> updated between LTS releases, but we can still choose not to update our
>>> package.
>>> 170.7 MB The Entire New Testament in MP3, World English Bible (WEB)