c4c-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Binaries in the BZR branch

Hi,
these are not very 'new fangled' but it is a new direction to take this
project!!
Basically I agree with Greg, the end goal is the whole reason!
Really, Jesus Christ and him crucified and raised by the Father is the
whole reason, and expressing that to people through giving them the word
of God, and content (music, wallpapers, game, etc) that add to this are
great!

As a homeschooler, I think there could be a huge service we could do for
families that home-school, as well.  Many home-school families have
limited resources (one working parent, paying for everything to school
their children) so having a bunch of amazing content and a stable system
to revitalize their existing old hardware could be a huge benefit and
save them money in the process.
I have a computer from the windows ME era that can browse the internet
quite well (no flash... the processor is too old for that), it runs
ToriOS, but most XP era machines can run Lubuntu quite decently.

I also agree with Tim....
once these packages exist, updating and maintaining are going to be
remarkably easier.
Simply rebuild packages & remaster the next release.  Then test it to
make sure there are no regressions.

On 05/22/2015 12:21 AM, KI7MT wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Nothing has to be done or changed in a rush. IMHO, its much better to
> have a well thought out plan in place before making any code shifts,
> thus the reason I try to prompt discussion.
>
> I had good laugh about this one "new-fangled ideas you kids have" ... I
> would venture to guess, I am probably the oldest one in the group, by
> far :)
>
> One last thing to prevent any confusion. When I refer to Ubuntu, that
> generally means all the various flavors Xub, Lub, Kub, etc etc, not just
> Ubuntu Unity. If it's something specific to one of them only, I'll
> normally state the full name of the distro e.g. Xubuntu ot Lubuntu.
>
> As for older HW support, I think that is a must have. In the past, that
> generally limited distro choices to Lubuntu / Xubuntu, but that is
> changing and fairly quickly.
>
> From my perspective, while as fun as this all can be, we must not loose
> sight of the end goal, which is providing Christian content to as many
> users as we can, or if available, entire system + content.
>

> best regards,
>
> Greg

Regards

-Israel