calibre-devs team mailing list archive

Re: oeb2lit

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Kovid Goyal <kovid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's great, I'll integrate it into calibre at the earliest opportunity. From
> my perspective (having to maintain build systems on 3 platforms), the best
> solution for lzxcomp is to simply add it to the current lzx module.

Ok, I can do that.  It is the most reasonable thing to do, but ctypes
really is super-slick.

> I suggest putting oeb.py into the calibre.ebooks.lit package for now
> as it will only be used there. In the future, if we decide to use it
> elsewhere, for example, for a mobi output plugin, we can move it into
> ebooks.metadata

Sensible enough.

> Incidentally how do you losslessly serialize opf 2 to opf 1?

Fair call :-).  The only real problems I'm aware of (for valid OPF 2)
are extra-namespace metadata attributes and the arbitrarily nested NCX
ToC.  For the former I'm currently choosing fidelity over compliance and
creating attributes and namespaces not allowed by the OEBPS Package DTD.
For the NCX TOC I'm loosing the nesting and any "class" attributes by
converting into a single flat <tour/> element, although it could use
multiple <tour/>s to preserve the information in an albeit non-standard
method.

-Marshall