calibre-devs team mailing list archive

Re: oeb2lit

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Kovid Goyal <kovid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> An NCX TOC. oeb2lit can use that to create an HTML TOC easily enough, rather
> like what you do for opf2 -> opf1. TOCs seem to matter a lot to most users and
> they are particularly important for things like news recipes.

Hmm, ok.  Do any of the other conversions generate HTML TOCs?  To be
honest I, er, haven't been using the calibre generation tools that
that much lately...  It's my fault for disappearing while you were
doing all the initial EPUB work, but there were just enough tiny
things which bugged me about calibre's EPUB-generation that I ended up
rolling my own.

> Splitting will be turned off when any2epub is used in the chain.

Oh, whoops.  I don't know what I thought you said about splitting the
first time I read your previous message.  Yah, no splitting.

> Another couple of points of concern are page margins and fonts. Does microsoft
> reader use CSS for fonts/margins?

That's a good question.  I'll have to check when I get home what
MSReader does with @page and body margins -- no LIT book I've looked
at has set them.  As for fonts, the format does *not* support font
embedding.  IIRC I saw a list of the Fonts Microsoft guarantees will
be present (I'd check it, but the "Reader" portion of Microsoft's site
has been down all day -- weird), but in practice all the books I've
seen only use the CSS-specified generic font types.

-Marshall