Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

On 8/13/2010 11:17 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Elizabeth M Smith
<emsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I was referring to the fact that by default the data directory for mysql
installs is in the application directory
So if you didn't "upgrade" but instead installed both side by side, it would
have a new blank data directory
And the user, thinking they've simply upgraded and not done a new install
would be utterly confused.
Just making sure that even if our "upgrades" are side by side that we have a
way to migrate user settings and data for applications.
Wasn't it changed to some stupid location like All Users some time ago?
The data dir is specified by the conf file and I'm sure our intend is
to not lose the conf file. ;)

Olaf
The point I was trying to make is that other applications will have similar issues and not all are smart enough to have a conf file to specify it (and what if the user changes the location?) - we need some kind of way for the "upgrade" to specify migration data if we're not doing in place upgrades.

Thanks,
Elizabeth