Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

We'll just have to show them the right way...

They won't be CoApp-compliant if they stick their data in the program folder. :D

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth M Smith [mailto:emsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 8:19 AM
To: Olaf van der Spek
Cc: Garrett Serack; coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Questions, Questions, Questions

On 8/13/2010 11:17 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Elizabeth M Smith
> <emsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> I was referring to the fact that by default the data directory for
>> mysql installs is in the application directory So if you didn't
>> "upgrade" but instead installed both side by side, it would have a
>> new blank data directory And the user, thinking they've simply
>> upgraded and not done a new install would be utterly confused.
>> Just making sure that even if our "upgrades" are side by side that we
>> have a way to migrate user settings and data for applications.
>>
> Wasn't it changed to some stupid location like All Users some time ago?
> The data dir is specified by the conf file and I'm sure our intend is
> to not lose the conf file. ;)
>
> Olaf

The point I was trying to make is that other applications will have similar issues and not all are smart enough to have a conf file to specify it (and what if the user changes the location?)  - we need some kind of way for the "upgrade" to specify migration data if we're not doing in place upgrades.

Thanks,
Elizabeth