Re: use of static libs permitted?

So...

At the end of the day, it's perfectly supported, but developers are encouraged to consider the benefits of shared libraries.

________________________________
From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Rafael Rivera [rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 1:20 PM
To: Eric Schultz
Cc: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] use of static libs permitted?

And those that statically link, with no justification, will be placed on the upcoming Hall of Shame page.

/rafael

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Eric Schultz <wwahammy@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:wwahammy@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Lee,

I think that one of the main reasons open source software often uses static libraries, especially on Windows, is that it gets around a lot of the dependency issues. You don't have to worry about dynamically loading a strange version of a dependency library if you never dynamically load libraries. CoApp intends to solve this problem so I think developers should choose to release non-statically bound libraries whenever possible and hopefully they will.

Eric