context team mailing list archive

Re: [Dev-luatex] Luatex 0.42.0 (a snapshot release)

Hans Hagen wrote:
Yue Wang wrote:

In my humble opinion this is because TeX manages memory by it self...
and maybe a 64bit memory word of packed data uses twice of memory as
32bits one.... I am not sure.

well, the fact that linux 64 bit runs much faster contradicts that

one thing that we observed is that the lua garbage collected performs different on different platforms / architectures / cpu cache etc

Another way to get a speed penalty is when the exe 64-bit but some of
the libraries it (or the operating system) needs to use are 32-bit.

Best wishes,
Taco