dbusmenu-list team mailing list archive

Re: Proposal for aboutToShow() implementation

Ted Gould wrote:
On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 10:12 +0100, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
Ted Gould wrote:
On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 10:13 +0100, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
Since we introduce a new method, getting the result from the return
value rather than waiting for a signal feel more efficient.
But, if we implemented the event mask that we had discussed (I don't
think anyone has implemented it) then we would know whether a menu was
interested in the event and we should wait.
I can't remember this event mask discussion. Care to refresh my fading
memory?

The idea was that we could have a property for individual items so that
we would know what event it was interested in.  The idea was to not send
dbus traffic when we didn't need it.  That way we would send
"AboutToShow" in this case if the menu didn't care.
And this same mask was also meant to avoid unnecessary processing (read CPU cycles) in each of the processes connected on the bus. So, I guess that mask would help both at a generic level (reducing the CPU overhead) and at a protocol specific level by lowering the traffic too.

David