Re: Mailing lists..forums...StackExchange...some ideas?

On 10 October 2014 14:46, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Not to throw out too many ideas, but before you send out the email, I
> thought we should also consider potentially using discourse. It seems like
> a good tool, and I managed to get a demo setup here.
>
> http://dhis2.info

That looks nice.

> An obvious advantage here is that we would have a lot more control over
> the entire process, rather than being subject to StackExchange's rather
> arcane rules. I think we could rather easily achieve a good Q&A site with
> this as well. Downside of course is that this server is being managed by us
> at the moment, and one more thing which we would need to take care of,
> although something we could likely push off to our friends a BAO Systems.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Best regards,
> Jason
>
> P.S. On a totally unrelated note, I came across https://mandrillapp.com
> which is described in the Discourse setup, and it also seems like a very
> good alternative for sending emails, without having to worry about getting
> an SMTP server setup.

I have tried mandrillap with dhis2 before (not in production).  It works
well and is certainly a good replacement for "spamming" through a gmail
account.  Not that it replaces the utility of running a local MTA - but
that too can be configured to hand off to a smarthost. Useful if the
machine does not have a fqdn.  But we drift off topic ... maybe this is all
good content for a mail-related meta-topic in discourse/tutorials or what
have you.

Bob