Re: Once a categorycombo is created there is no way to add/remove a category/option into/from it.

2009/12/7 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Thuy,
> Interesting. Just another question? You do not record data for each clinic?
>
> So, if I understand this correctly there is a category "clinics", which
> refers to the number of clinics which have a specific condition?
>
> So, you could have 10 clinics with 10 cases each, for a total of 100 cases,
> or 1 clinic with a 100 cases for a total of 100 cases as well?
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Thuy Nguyen <thuy.hispvietnam@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>> I had attached the file with translation.

Thanks Thuy,

some questions inline.

> *I. What I had done for this report in the DHIS2*
>> Data elements are deseases' names:
>>
>>    - Tả - Cholera
>>    -
>>    - Thương hàn, phó thương hàn -Typhoid and paratyphoid fevers
>>    - Ỉa chảy do Shigella - Shigellosis
>>    - Lỵ amip - Amoebiasis
>>    - ...
>>
>> Data element group names  are
>>
>>    - Chapter I : Certain infectious and parasistic dieases
>>    - Chapter II : Neoplasms
>>    - ...
>>
>> ICDX are data elements' codes
>>
>> Category combination is : *CategoryCombination_B09T*. This category
>> combination has category is : *Category_B09T. *This category includes 9
>> category options listed below
>>
>>    1. Clinics - Total
>>
>> infections + deaths?

>>    1. Clinics - Children
>>
>> how old are these children?

>>    1. Clinics - Death
>>    2. Patients - Total - Infection
>>    3. Patients - Total - Death
>>    4. Patients -  Children < 15 - Infection - Total
>>    5. *Patients -  Children < 15 - Infection - 0-4*
>>
>> so these are children under 5 years?

>>    1. *Patients -  Children < 15 - Death - Total*
>>    2. *Patients -  Children < 15 - Death - 0-4*
>>
>> What do you do if someone asks to know the total of infections for Cholera
for both clinics and (in) patients?
Or say, want to know the total of cholera infections for children under 5
years?

CategoryCombos and categories, when used wisely can give such sub totals
automatically and make it available in a data analysis tools that a doctor
or health worker with some training could manage. Even better, could give
you all those options broken down by categories such as Age, Place,
TypeOfVisit or what have you. Your outputs (reports, charts, maps, pivot
tables) become very dependent on programmer skills and are very hard coded,
which is fine for static excel reports, but not much more.

I can see that you are getting your data entry form and static excel report
this way, but I would not recommend this approach to anyone that is trying
to use DHIS as a data analysis tool. This approach limits the functions of
DHIS to a hard coded reporting tool, which might be what is needed in
Vietnam right now, but in a year or two you might be asked to provide other
outputs and then you are stuck with this very static and hard coded design
which will make it very difficult for you to respond to new requirements and
needs.

That's my opinion anyway.

Ola
---------