Re: Conflicts merging databases

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19 August 2011 14:14, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Good idea to trim on save, I support that.
> >
> > Well there would be quite a few fields to trim and a few places to do
> > it.  It could be done at javascript level, but probably better in the
> > model.  Eg changing AbstractIdentifiableObject.java setter to:
> >
> > public void setName( String name )
> >    {
> >        this.name = name.trim();
> >    }
> >
> > Would catch a whole lot of critical objects.  Something similar on
> > "code" for orgunits would fix up a bundle of apparent mismatches with
> > the master facility list as well.
>
> Sorry that is a Kenya-specific reference for those who were wondering :-)
>
> The exact term may be somewhat Kenya specific, but it is generic enough
that I think it is quite suitable for our general discussion and could also
be used in the manual (I think it has been adopted by WHO for their work on
Service Availability and Readiness Assessment (*SARA), aka SAM:

http://www.who.int/healthinfo/systems/serviceavailabilitymapping/en/

A largely equivalent term would be facility registry. I think we should
introduce some of this vocabulary into our implementation manual (if it's
not there already), to link with the overall Enterprise Architecture
thinking (while keeping things concrete and understandable and mostly
avoiding mystifying or technical/academic jargon such as the term
"Enterprise Architecture" itself).

Evidently, in many countries DHIS2 will serve as the de facto registry for
both facilities and aggregate data elements/indicators, but this is not the
case everywhere, and metadata synchronization both between DHIS2 instances
(as highlighted by the ongoing discussion on offline installs) and with
other systems through third party registries will be crucial. You of course
know this best of all Bob, but I still thought it worth highlighting on this
list in light of my current work.

Knut
*