Re: Brave souls wanted - Testing SCons build of DOLFIN

Åsmund Ødegård wrote:

On Dec 1, 2007 9:41 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:knepley@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    <mailto:gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > > To get the flags right for MPI, the test in petsc.py should use
    mpicc
     > > (or mpicxx) if PETSc has been compiled using MPI, instead of g++.
     > >

     > You're right - I haven't tought about that. Unfortunately,
    pkg-config which
     > we use quite heavily does not really supports the concept of
    telling about
     > compilers, so I have to find some clever way to deal with this
    issue :-)

    You can read this info out of PETSc:

     1) make getincludedirs, make getlinklibs

    or

    the MPI in particular

Sure - getting the stuff out of petsc is easy; I can just read, say ${PCC} and ${PCC-LINKER} with make. The hard part is to persist this in the pkg-config file I create for petsc. As Garth mention, there is always the option of using --variable=compiler. But I have to consider this "a hack" and really want something cleaner if possible...

We used --variable=compiler originally to deal with users using different compilers, e.g. gcc or Intel, which require different compiler flags. We wanted DOLFIN executables to be compiled with the same compiler as the DOLFIN library and couldn't come up with any other solution when using pkg-config. It seems to me a real weakness that pkg-config doesn't provide simple support for different compilers.

Garth

      Matt