Re: patch for boundary indicators (e.g. VMTK) in parallel

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 10:25:02AM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> On 04/04/11 09:49, Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:
> > I have a unit test that I can include.
> >
> > BTW: A couple of issues concerning this patch.
> >
> > 1. I have used a std::map for a global -> local mapping. I don't know if
> > this
> >     the most efficient thing to do, but it is certainly convenient.
> >

> boost::unordered_map is another possibility.
>
> > 2. The boundary indicators are read on every process because these
> >     arrays are small. Their dimensions are the number of cells on the
> > boundary.
> >

> This isn't scalable - we would need an enhanced alternative.

It should be possible to fix without too much work.

> >     I would prefer to not apply this just yet. I'm in the process if
> >     re-factoring some aspects of parallel mesh functionality. Some classes
> >     and functions have gotten out of hand.

Which are those?

Wouldn't it be better to merge this now so that this new
functionality can be included in the refactoring?

Note that this is not particular to reading VMTK data. It is adding a
missing piece to the reading of parallel meshes which is to include
stored MeshData.