Re: Patch that adds physical region support for gmsh meshes in meshconvert.py

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 10:05:57PM -0700, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Wednesday April 6 2011 08:23:23 Anders Logg wrote:
> > Do we really need to require that each patch is accompanied by a unit
> > test?
>
> I would say yes. But in some cases where a patch is given to code which is
> sustained by others it is less crucial. The proposed patch is of code that is
> not sustained by any particular developer, and maybe not often used. In such a
> case I think it is importatn to have a unit test, and since a unit test
> already excisted for a similar mesh conversion I thought it was not that big
> of a hassle.
>
> At least not compared to print a document, sign it, find an envelope, buy a
> stamp, find the appropriate address, walk to the nearest post box and post the
> letter ;)

The extra effort involved (in addition to printing + signing) is walk
to the store room and pick up an envelope (1 min), write the address
(which I'm making sure to mail everyone so there's no extra effort
involved in finding that address), then put it in the outbox (another
1 min). So 2 extra minutes of effort. Writing a unit test takes more
time than that. For someone who is not familiar with our unit test
framework, it will probably take at least 30 min.

Of the 30 people who have submitted the forms, only one person
complained that it was a big hassle (and I'm not talking about
Harish). ;-)