Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 5907: Comment out parts of test. There is something fishy with DofMap::tabulate_coordinates and the dou...

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:16:48PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> On 30/05/11 22:03, Anders Logg wrote:

> >> I'm going to remove them. The double pointer for coords is a UFC
> >> bug/design flaw.
> >
> > I wouldn't call it a design flaw. It was natural at the point of
> > designing UFC to use an array of arrays for a list of coordinates.
> > Designing for possible difficulties in creating SWIG typemaps was not
> > part of the design process.
> >

> I'd call it a flaw (as does Martin). It imposes significant constraints
> on the user. See
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ufc/+bug/787405
>
> UFC uses plain pointers for other square arrays.

Call it what you want.

> > But I agree it would be natural to replace the double pointers by
> > simple pointers (or perhaps even std::vector?).
> >

> I suggest a plain pointer in UFC since this provides maximum
> flexibility. My intention is to use boost::multi_array in the DOLFIN
> interface.
>
> > But is that something we should do now before the release of 1.0?
> >

> Why not? Even if we don't get it working in Python, it's not working
> properly anyway.

It adds to the list of things we need to implement, but it's a big
enough change that it would be good to have it in place before 1.0,
and it's a big enough change to call it UFC 2.2.