Re: [Fenics] Deadline for merge of development branches

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 03:23:53PM +0000, Florian Rathgeber wrote:
> On 26/03/13 22:32, Anders Logg wrote:

> >> Having the marks file will definitely speed things up in case
> >> we're not rewriting FFC. But if we're deciding to filter FFC and
> >> therefore invalidate the marks files I can do without, yes.
> >
> > ok. So from what I've heard so far, it seems there are really no
> > strong objections to converting to git in combination with
> > stripping, and forcing all branches to start from scratch on the
> > git side.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind making it easier to transition feature branches,
> > but it seems very difficult to do so.
>
> Yes, I still haven't found a satisfactory solution that is safe in all
> cases. The only safe solution I can think of at the moment is:
> 1) bzr -> git convert trunk with export of marks files
> 2) import *all* feature branches
> 3) filter the entire history, removing files we don't want
> 4) archive the new git repo with *all* branches on the fenics
> webserver with public read-only access
> 5) push only the master branch (bzr trunk) to bitbucket
> 6) instruct people how they can fetch their feature branches into
> their own (local) clones and then push to their own forks

What exactly does it mean to import all branches? Will it somehow
affect repository that we put on bitbucket?

> I've asked a question on SO, maybe someone has an idea:
> http://stackoverflow.com/q/15660467/396967
>
> I'm currently discussing with Jelmer on #bzr: There's yet another
> conversion route using bzr dpush and/or bzr serve --git. That doesn't
> seems very promising either though: it's mostly designed to allow
> contributing to git projects using bzr (and we want the opposite).

ok. My main take on this right now is that I haven't heard anyone
saying that it's important to convert the feature branches, so I'm not
going to spend a lot of time thinking about it. :-) But as before, if
you come up with a good solution, I wouldn't mind.

I've moved the conversion script from the old gist to bitbucket. The
plan is to use this script to do the conversion:

https://bitbucket.org/fenics-project/fenics-bzr-to-git-conversion-2013

This should happen next weekend.