Re: b5490da68: Support running compatibility tests without discovery.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 14:39, Augie Fackler <durin42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 13:57 -0800, Dave Borowitz wrote:
> >> AFAIK nose is still canonical, since it's what's in the Makefile. I'm
> >> fine with this provided:
> >> -if no git is installed, tests are still skipped rather than failed
> >> -you rewrite the 'check' make target such that it doesn't run the
> >> non-compat tests twice.
> > FWIW this is how trunk behaves at the moment.
> >
> >> A nice-to-have would be a 'check-nocompat' or similar make target. I
> >> for one do things like run the tests on a bunch of sequential patches,
> >> and it's nice when those take 1s each rather than 10s.
> > Adding a check-nocompat target seems reasonable to me.
>
> As long as it's well documented how to run the tests without all the slow
> ones (for exactly the reason Dave mentions) I'm not going to complain too
> loudly.

Yes, exactly. I should have said "such that it doesn't run the compat tests
twice." I haven't complained about running the non-compat tests twice
because they're so fast, but I wouldn't be too happy if the time doubled.

I might take a look at testr for my own use for parallelization, too. But
there's some inherent slowness in spinning up servers and whatnot such that
even with good parallelization I probably wouldn't want to always run the
compat tests.