Re: b5490da68: Support running compatibility tests without discovery.

On Dec 19, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 13:57 -0800, Dave Borowitz wrote:
>> AFAIK nose is still canonical, since it's what's in the Makefile. I'm
>> fine with this provided:
>> -if no git is installed, tests are still skipped rather than failed
>> -you rewrite the 'check' make target such that it doesn't run the
>> non-compat tests twice.
> FWIW this is how trunk behaves at the moment.
>
>> A nice-to-have would be a 'check-nocompat' or similar make target. I
>> for one do things like run the tests on a bunch of sequential patches,
>> and it's nice when those take 1s each rather than 10s.
> Adding a check-nocompat target seems reasonable to me.

As long as it's well documented how to run the tests without all the slow ones (for exactly the reason Dave mentions) I'm not going to complain too loudly.

> I use testr for most of my projects, it can e.g. parallelize test runs
> and re-run only the failing tests from the previous run.
>
> % time testr run --parallel
> id=59, tests=423, skips=6
> testr run --parallel  0.64s user 0.22s system 18% cpu 4.776 total

nose is capable of both of those features, FYI. I've never heard of testr, and can't find it on a quick search. Can you provide a link so I can explore?