Re: Listing old files

On 20.10.2009 22:13, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
edgar.soldin@xxxxxx wrote
Not sure that keeping the sig files is the way to go as a default
option, and we'd run into the same problems as --archive-dir if we make
it optional.
currently keeping sig files is no option, or? So it's a whole different
scenario, isn't it?
Not really all that, but the root problem with options like this is that
we don't store them in a configuration file for reuse.  If we did, then
a lot of problems would be solved.

that's why there are frontends to the mighty magic of duplicity storing the options. Again .. right now simply enable the keeping of the sig files would do no harm. It would take up more space, while enabling the user to list the contents of the chain much faster. Right? So why does the user keep a chain if he/her doesn't want to use it at some point?

I just looked and found a sigtar for a 4,5TB full 69MB in size. Small incrementals 40 KB in size seem to have equally sized sigtars. Whats the logic behind these sizes?

And if the sig is nearly the same in size as the incremental, why keep it seperate? What information is in the sig that couldn't be put in the data tar as well. AFAIU the significant advantage is the sigtars size, which doesn't seem to be true for small incrementals.

The first run without the option and the previous sigs
would just disappear.  Sure to generate lots of complaints.
what's the downside on keeping the small sig files for each chain?
For one, they aren't that small, and some folks pay a bunch for offsite,
so want as little overhead as possible.  It's all a tradeoff.

it always is .. but again what use are old chains if they are not listable performantly and therefore usable at all.

One thing to think of is allowing the signatures to cover a larger
block.  Right now, the blocksize that a sig covers is fairly small,
matching what rdiff does, but we could make that tuneable.  If you make
the coverage larger, you get fewer sigs per file and smaller sigtar
files, but larger blocks are backed up.  The opposite produces larger
sigtar files.  For now, its a good mix, but it would be better if you
could tune it with knowledge of your backup needs.

Sorry, I was under the impression that sig files simply hold checksums for data vol files and a list of their contents. Is there more about it? Could you explain?

...ede